Botany website and Botany Internal website will be offline from 9PM-12AM on Jan 30, 2018 for installation of security updates. The real downtime may be shorter.
Email accounts hosted outside Canada (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, iCloud) cannot be used for work purposes
January 26, 2018
“Email accounts hosted outside Canada (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, iCloud) cannot be used for work purposes.” said the University Counsel and the Chief Information Officer. You can find more information at https://universitycounsel.ubc.ca/files/2015/05/Fact-Sheet-Privacy-of-Email-Systems.pdf .
December 6, 2017
As approved by the Head of Botany, Botany IT will use the new user/account management procedure. Start on Dec 15, 2017:
- Botany IT staff will only accept request directly from the managing administrator for adding/removing of speedchart(s).
- Botany IT staff will only accept request directly from the research grant holder (PI) for provision/de-provision of user account accessing a research speedchart.
- Botany IT staff will only accept request directly from the managing administrator for provision/de-provision of user account accessing a non-research speedchart.
If user send in request against these three rules, Botany IT staff will:
- Explain there are new rules start on Dec 15, 2017;
- Suggest them either contact the PI for accessing a research speedchart, or contact the administrator (or both administrator if not clear which one) for any other speedcharts;
- If they need immediate access for some urgent print/copy job, point them to Botany Office Admin staffs, so those admin staffs can print/copy for them and do a cost recovery later.
December 1, 2017
If you obtained Adobe Acrobat DC or Creative Cloud through Botany IT or other IT unit in UBC, you won’t be able to use your Adobe application and will be asked to sign in with your Adobe ID.
To fix this problem, we have obtained the re-serialization utility from UBC IT to reactive your Adobe application. Please send your request to email@example.com to book a time with us if you run into this problem. For more information, please check UBC IT bulletin (http://bulletins.it.ubc.ca/archives/31233 ).
Please note this problem won’t happen to older version of Adobe product.
November 6, 2017
We have renewed our SSL certificate for botany.ubc.ca and in.botany.ubc.ca website. Both sites are working normally now. Thanks for your patience.
October 30, 2017
We received reports that some UBC FASmail addresses cannot receive emails from external senders. This is a known issue due to UBC FASmail security settings. We will verify the settings for all Botany members in the next few weeks. But if you experience this problem, please contact Botany IT at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can fix it for you.
October 25, 2017
The Ricoh printer in WesBrook 220A is back to normal. The fuser unit was damaged due to a melt transparency sheet. To print a transparency sheet, you must:
- Use only laser printer compatible transparency sheets (such as Apollo Laser Printer Transparency Sheets)
- Use the bypass tray of the printer to print transparency sheets.
- Change paper type to “Transparency” in the printer setting.
October 20, 2017
Finally we have resolved all technical issues, and waiting for the last licensing issue to be fixed hopefully next week. the HP M630z multi-functional printer in Biodiversity room 229 is expected to be integrated into the PaperCut system next week. Further notice will be sent out with more details.
October 17, 2017
You may have heard about the Wifi vulnerbility from news. UBC IT is in the process of applying infrastructure workarounds and/or patches as recommended by vendors. But you will have to patch your own wireless router and computers when the security patch is ready from the vendors. We will update you if there is further notice from UBC IT.
October 17, 2017
Due to increasing data volume, our secondary backup server is running out of space again. We are still working on this issue. But we have already regain some space and was able to resume the backup to this server. For now, backup users have their data backed up to both backup servers. We will update the progress here later.